Friday, June 04, 2010

From the flotilla incident, moving to the wider regional situation scope

in the midst of everyone talking on the flotilla, I also find it more constructive to discuss the overall situation then the incident only. here is my view: there is a fundamental difference between Gaza\Hamas and the occupied-territores\Fatah. I have a lot of respect to Fatah and alot of sympathy to the population in the occupied-territories. on the other hand, I see the Hamas as a manifestation of religious fundamentalism which is the root cause for the suffering of the Gaza population. the Fatah are a nationalist organization who has moved to diplomatic engagements. as such, they are working for the benefit of their people and there is a chance to progress. on the other hand, the Hamas is an organization that was elected but nevertheless is self-destructive towards its own people. the outcome of their violent and fundamentalist view has caused not only israel to put a blockade (rightly or wrongly) but also created a huge rift between them and their brothers in the occupied-territories. additionally, you can see the negative way that Jordan and Egypt view the Hamas. this is in short about differences between Gaza\Hamas and the occupied-territores\Fatah. now for Israel... Israel is doing a lot of wrong. no doubt. much of the criticism is justified. I can point to several justified issues but I think that there is enough mentioned already. so with the risk of being called in unpleasant nicknames, I would like to point on what I see wrong with the public opinion. - there is an automatic tendency to blame israel on everything. I strongly disagree with that. - there is a tendency to see israel as the sole aggressor. I strongly disagree with that. please do not interpret my words as "israel is not aggressive". Israel is definitely aggressive. my meaning is that it is not the only one. the situation is pretty much such that both sides can not stop this on their own. I think that we need "two adults" in this game; one for each. One adult to take care of Israel (e.g., US) and another adult to take care of Hamas (e.g., Egypt and Jordan). Unfortunately, Israel doesn't listen enough to the adult (US); and the other adult (Egypt\Jordan) already gave up on the fundamentalist Hamas opening his mind. How about that US with local countries e.g., Egypt and Jordan, should get involved clear and loud? did I widen the scope too much? should I point to Gaza only? ok.. no, I don't think the situation in Gaza is acceptable towards the population. I have no doubt that if MR Mahmud Abbas was the leader in Gaza, things would have looked completely different. but blaming the situation in Gaza on Israel only? no no no.... that is making israel a scape goat for the follies of the self-internal-rifts-creating Hamas regime. make israel responsible for its share. do not make it accountable for everything. please let me know your thoughts. abubalboola

No comments: